Our specialist advisers will chat with you and talk about how they can support your individual needs. They aren’t here to judge you, but they are to help you to try to do the best for you and your unborn child.
- offer you a choice of nicotine replacement products such as patches, gum, mouth spray, inhalator etc. to help you beat your cravings
- test your carbon monoxide levels
Carbon monoxide is a poisonous gas; colourless, odourless & tasteless and present in cigarette smoke. You may have heard carbon monoxide in the news as it can also be found in car exhaust fumes and faulty gas appliances. The gas can cross the placenta and gets into your baby’s blood, restricting their oxygen supply. This means the baby gets less of the oxygen he/she needs to grow, and that can affect their development. Consequently, babies may be born prematurely or with a low birth weight.
What to expect in sessions.
First Session – Assessment and Information session
- Explain what support we can offer you
- Offer a choice of medications such as nicotine patches, gum and inhalator to help you beat your cravings.
- Chat about your smoking history to understand your smoking pattern and habits
- Test your carbon monoxide levels
- Make a plan to help you stop smoking, ONLY if you wish to stop
- Give you practical tips on stopping smoking and expert advice tailored to what you need.
- We will give you a form for your medication which you can take to your pharmacy.
Follow up sessions
- We’ll give you a form for more medication if you need it
- Weekly carbon monoxide tests will help you to see how quickly your carbon monoxide levels drop after stopping smoking
- Your advisor will talk with you about how you can deal with any difficulties or concerns you may have
- You’ll receive encouragement and congratulations on your effort to stop smoking
- And you’ll get a certificate when you have stopped smoking for four weeks
After the Assessment and information session
- Set a quit date with us
- Not be ready to stop smoking now, but will contact us when you are ready to do so.
- Continue to smoke
- Not wish to use our service or rather do it on your own.
- We will not pressurise you to stop smoking!
- We will not judge you or make you feel guilty for not wanting to stop!
- We will offer you help to stop smoking, ONLY if you are motivated or ready to stop.
Remember, stopping smoking is entirely YOUR choice!